Monday, September 29, 2008

Breaking a bad habit

It's tough to break out of a non-blogging habit. Once you get behind, you feel worse and worse about trying to catch up.

I'm discarding my guilt and moving on.

There are dozens of items and issues I've come across in the past months that I would have loved to blog about. Let's see if I can do this in bullet form:

--T is growing...fast. He's also running...fast. He's picking up the language and how mimicking us, but still using some of his hand signs.

--T is a great eater...still eating most everything we give him.

--He sleeps through the night, but might be transitioning to being a one-nap-a-day boy.

--He's cute.

--We get a few of the awkward questions all adoptive families get, ("How much did he cost?" "He's gonna be smart!") but being prepared for them helps a lot.

--T doesn't seem interested in blankets, despite the change of season. We're dressing him warmly for bed as a result. Since he lives in Wisconsin, I'm certain he will learn to love his sheets.

--Given a room full of toys and books, his choice will be to play with the electrical outlet, but I suspect that's normal for children his age.

--The TV remains off...and I think we're all enjoying it. Have so little time in my day now, I'm not sure how I ever had time for TV before (although, I'll have to make some now that the Brewers are in the playoffs). Some people think what we're doing is strange.

--Politics in Thailand appear much more stable again. Great news for waiting families. Enjoy your trip, and know that we're wishing we were in Thailand too!

--I love being a parent. I could go on and on, but this leads me to my next point...

--Most of the time I think of myself as a parent...and only occasionally do remember that I'm an adoptive parent. I don't want to forget that I'm an adoptive parent, but I also don't want that to become the focus of our lives. It's a balance all adoptive families have to strike.

We're happy to hear from our readers. Don't be shy...just because we aren't blogging a lot doesn't mean we can't or won't answer. We know there are a lot of waiting families out there and we're happy to help in any way we can.

-Kyle

7 comments:

Hannah said...

I totally remember the realization of "forgetting" the adoption part. It startled me one day when I thought about it - and then noticed I hadn't thought about it for a few days....like I assumed it would be in me head all the time? But it's still weird the first time you notice. Did that make any sense? I'm still feeling ill.

Rosemary said...

So glad to hear from you guys again! Thanu is a doll and we love to see his pictures.

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you are staying busy and enjoying Thanu. You will always go through blogging spurts. We did with our Russian adoption too. Sometimes, I felt that my posts all said the same thing.

We've gotten the cost question a few times with our daughter. I just try to redirect the question. If I can tell the person is interested in adopting themselves, I will lead them to websites with further information.

I enjoyed Thanu's picture. He is adorable.

Danielle said...

Hi Robin--

Our T.V. has stayed off, for the most part, and we have loved it. I really didn't see why a young child should sit in front of a television. (If we were out in public, or at another person's house, I didn't object because I didn't want to make it a big issue for my child. I don't want him to feel completely out of the loop. I just didn't want television viewing to become a pattern at home.)

The "no TV" issue is definitely loaded -- I've received a lot of feedback from both sides. We've loosened up a little bit now and he's seen a few, well-selected movies. (We tend toward musicals, so that we can return the movie to the library and just sing along with the soundtracks on the CD player.)

Overall, I am so glad that we've lived without the TV. It's not just that the TV is "bad" (e.g. commercials/advertising)-- it's just that watching TV, as a habit, could keep us from doing other wonderful things together (e.g., crafts, games, nature walks).

Anyway, I completely support your no TV policy. I'm glad that you and Thanu are doing well!

Danielle

Chris, Terri, Matt and Mark said...

Did I guilt you into blogging? Hope not, but thanks for catching me up on my Thau fix! LOL

On the money question - I don't even have my child yet but I get it now and then. I always do the very excited, exaggerated big smile, Oh are you interested in adoption? (and then without giving them a chance to respond) That's great! Check out this website - it has all the information. They are usually backpedaling so fast I laugh on the inside and if they are truly interested, they got the info they needed to do the research.

Jay and Chandra Regan said...

We don't care how long we have to wait. We cherish every blog and don't hold any wait against you. I have to second that comment about Thanu being cute.

Melissa May said...

Good to hear from you! I would definitely say blogs are not worth feeling guilty about! : )

Your last comment about forgetting that you're an adoptive parent sounds like it could be a post all by itself. Interesting for me to think about since I was a biological parent first... Hmmm...

And yes, the outlet issue is a common one! We were most concerned about it in Thailand where it's all 220v and nothing is grounded! But even now, Timothy (Kamin) just turned off the power strip under the desk... He loves to do that. Thankfully it only affects the monitor and printer. : )

So glad he's sleeping well... I'm jealous! : )