Sunday, August 17, 2008

"Sawasdee"

I was going to blog about this article:

Hello-o!? The magic words are not 'hello'

from the Bangkok Post. But when I looked for a photo to go with the post, I came across this photo. So, now I'm writing about the general concern regarding maintaining Thai culture when there's so much Western influence.

The article is about how the government is making an effort for Thais to say "Sawasdee" instead of "Hello", especially on the phone.

I talked to only a few Thais on the phone while in Thailand, but most of the Thais I met in person said "Sawasdee". If there are really more people starting to say "Hello", that's quite the bummer indeed.

As far as this photo goes, it's a rather sad expression of how global Western culture is, but at the same time, at least the corporate logo is trying to fit in the culture.

It begs the question...If you ran into Ronald McDonald on the streets of Bangkok, would he say "Sawasdee" or "Hello"?

No comments: