Monday, June 30, 2008

Sugar, hygiene, and partial nudity


T's doing great...this blog post is about how we're doing. I can't speak 100% for Robin, but here's my assessment.

Not only am I eating a ton, a large portion of it is sugar. Note the chocolate chip cookie dough above. A lot didn't even make it to the oven. I'm also eating: ice cream, slushes of various varieties, chocolate in any form, peanuts (it's baseball season) and fruit (not as much as everything else).

I am used to showering once a day...now it's every other, if I'm lucky. What's remarkable is that I never even notice. Before, I would complain all day about how I didn't get a shower or shave.

Along with that comes a disregard for what I'm wearing. Many days I don't get around to properly dressing myself until we decide to go in public, and even then, it's a matter of throwing on anything I can find...I don't put much thought into it.

What I'm getting at with all this is the following: Life with a child is chaotic and I'm going with the flow, and not fighting it, as I had feared.

That said, we go back to work next week, which means I have to find time for a shower everyday and take the time to put a tie on again. I never thought I would be dreading that.

We are so lucky to have T. He's a wonderful, bubbly boy...whose teaching me about life.

-Kyle

3 comments:

Jay and Chandra Regan said...

I see those parents with a glazed-over look in their eyes who quickly hand me their children when they drop them off at our preschool. One mom today said that she was forgetting so many things and having to drive back home so many times that she figured she might as well go home and try starting her day all over again. And this, from a very intelligent, mature, hard-working mom who usually seems to have things under control. I'm afraid the chaos effects even the best of parents (and preschool teachers) at times.

Danielle said...

I'm a fairly healthy eater andI don't drink soda (most of the time). After we adopted our son when he was 16 months old, I was home with him all day while my husband was at work. I drank an entire two-liter bottle of regular Coke in one day (and I didn't even notice at first)!

Danielle

Melissa May said...

I'm so glad you have both had so much time at home with Thanu. Enjoy the cookies (or cookie dough!), slushes and chocolate while it's available and your son while he's little... Because all those annoying people are right: "They grow up so fast!" : )