Saturday, May 31, 2008

One Night in Bangkok

We’re in Bangkok!

While in Seoul we were able to IM with our Thai friend Fone to arrange when we can see each other. Unfortunately, she’s busy until after we have T, but at least we'll get to see her.

The flight from Seoul was in a slightly older and smaller aircraft, but was almost empty. The food wasn’t quite as spectacular as the first leg, but I wasn’t that hungry anyway and they made up for it with strawberry cheesecake ice cream for dessert. I managed to sleep for a few hours on the flight.

While somewhere over maybe Vietnam, we flew over a huge lightening storm that was amazingly beautiful to watch from above.

The Bangkok airport was not too bad. We made it through immigration fast, with almost no lines. Our cab driver spoke very little English and it was a slight challenge getting him to understand where our hotel was. Oh, and he also tried to kill us. The drivers here make Illinois drivers seem like babies on tricycles. (Sorry, Hannah and Sam!) Cabbie was zooming at speeds over 85 mph in and out of traffic moving often half our speed. Lanes seem to be optional. Kyle's lucky I bite my nails, or he would have had bloody claw marks on his arm.

When we pulled up to our hotel, there was a baby elephant on the street, along with a sea of people and shops. Kyle didn’t want to venture out last night though I was wide awake. We feel pretty good, but jet lag woke me up at 2am and Kyle at 4, so we’ll see how long into the day our energy lasts.

Here’s a view from our room on the 17th floor. You can see the Skytrain in the foreground. We’re heading down for breakfast and can’t wait to explore! First stop - Grand Palace.

-Robin

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Oooh that photo brings back memories!!! Have fun guys, and after your palace visit, go for a foot massage!
Turn right out of the hotel, go right around the corner (laundromat is on the right corner and very good), and a few yards on the right is the massage place. Usually the girls here all wear yellow or red shirts. They are very nice here, and make sure you back once you have Thanu, they will spoil you and him!!

Melissa May said...

Hooray! Glad you made it and that you're blogging so much already! I can hardly stand the excitement and it's not even us... Yay!!!

Glen and Andrea said...

It's fantastic that you have some time to sight-see. We would have loved to do that but Mr Hugo had other ideas! Can't wait to hear more.

Jay and Chandra Regan said...

Yeah! You made it! And the day you arrived is the day the package with your mug arrived here. That was SO thoughtful of you to do while you had a million other things to take care of. I wish I could be as efficient as Robin seems to be. Glad to hear that Kyle is over his illness and that you arrived safely. Love all your pictures! I'm trying to imagine what it'll be like when we travel.

TracyMcGal said...

I agree with Sharon that the best foot massage place is right around the corner. I liked the one across the street from the hotel on the same side as the grocery store. It had glass windows with a water fountain inside (small). I think it was 300 baht for a foot massage but the chairs were so so comfy and they did such a great job. I liked them the best.

Woo hoo! Not long now...

Jessica said...

You're there! If you can survive Bangkok traffic, you can survive anything. Have fun. Close your eyes when you pass a temple, the driver will surely take his hands off the wheel to wai and you don't want to be watching oncoming traffic when he does it. Jessica

Farrah and Jed said...

I'm loving reading all your comments from people who have traveled....

I hope you are having a blast and I can't wait to see Thanu in your arms...HOW AWESOME

For those of you that read robin's blog and your blog is private, We are starting an adoption for thailand and I would love to read your blogs...Sorry Robin

adoptingmom 29 at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin/Kyle,
I think the massage place a few of your readers are talking about is here: http://www.watpomassage.com/map_tatean_en.html

Its a massage school at a very pretty wat and its AMAZING. Thai massages are pretty painful for me (so I usually opt for a foot massage), but they were VERY gentle here with the full body massage. Oh and its like 10 bucks (at least 3 years ago it was). For an hour. Can't beat that!!

Have a great time at the Grand Palace!
Ameena

Hannah said...

I would clutch onto Sam's hand every time we got into a cab....just wait until you have Thanu on your lap!!! I can't wait to see your pictures - the Palace was so beautiful, I hope there was sun so you could see everything shine and sparkle. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it there safely and definitely drink it up - remember to go to S&P (Siam Center) for some great latte. I come from PR where traffic is crazy but man nothing compared to BKK, it is my new standard when we start complaining about traffic here or PR for that matter - so no more complaining from me...so glad for the Sky Train (Chiang Mai traffic also a bit crazy but not as bad!!!)

Hirally

ps- if you need hair done - the barber shop right next to the hotel is great - the girls are great and one of them speaks good english - a wash, head massage and blow dry cost me only 300Baht and you know that is super cheap - if they can work on my hair they can work on anyone's hair!!! they do facials and nails too!!

Gem & James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.