Saturday, May 3, 2008

Little Boys

When we first began our adoption process, I imagined having a daughter. I grew up with a little sister, so I assumed I'd be better at parenting a girl. When our agency told us we'd most likely be matched with a son, it took me about 1 nanosecond to be equally excited about that. Initially I was nervous because little boys are less familiar to me. As we've gotten more ready to bring T home, I'm discovering I can't wait for the adventure! I reread A.A. Milne's "The World of Christopher Robin" this week, which is full of absolutely wonderful poems about life with a little boy. Poor Kyle is stuck listening to me read the poems to him in T's absence. My favorite is below.
Forgiven, by A.A.Milne

I found a little beetle; so that Beetle was his name,
And I called him Alexander and he answered just the same.
I put him in a match-box, and I kept him all the day ...
And Nanny let my beetle out -
Yes, Nanny let my beetle out -
She went and let my beetle out -
And Beetle ran away.

She said she didn't mean it, and I never said she did,
She said she wanted matches and she just took off the lid,
She said that she was sorry, but it's difficult to catch
An excited sort of beetle you've mistaken for a match.

She said that she was sorry, and I really mustn't mind,
As there's lots and lots of beetles which she's certain we could find,
If we looked about the garden for the holes where beetles hid -
And we'd get another match-box and write BEETLE on the lid.

We went to all the places which a beetle might be near,
And we made the sort of noises which a beetle likes to hear,
And I saw a kind of something, and I gave a sort of shout:
"A beetle-house and Alexander Beetle coming out!"

It was Alexander Beetle I'm as certain as can be,
And he had a sort of look as if he thought it must be Me,
And he had a sort of look as if he thought he ought to say:
"I'm very very sorry that I tried to run away."

And Nanny's very sorry too for you-know-what-she-did,
And she's writing ALEXANDER very blackly on the lid,
So Nan and Me are friends, because it's difficult to catch
An excited Alexander you've mistaken for a match.

I'm really looking forward to beetle hunting.
-Robin

5 comments:

Melissa May said...

Hi there... I just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying reading your blog and following your story. My husband, our 2 birth kids and I were just matched in March with a little boy in Thailand, also through Holt. So I'm eager to hear about other's experiences as they go through this adventurous process.

I have a son and a daughter and agree that you have a lot of fun to look forward to. : ) (I also love AA Milne's writings... He has another book of poetry called "When I Was Very Young" that is lots of fun.)

Thanu is adorable! : )

Melissa May said...

I had to come back and tell you... my kids just called me outside to show me what they had found and were playing with. Yep, a beetle! : )

Anonymous said...

Boys are loads of fun...you will love it. I wanted a girl when we got pregnant with Diego and it took a while to sink in that we were having a boy since I couldn't imagine what would I do with a boy! But once he entered our lives I would not have had it any other way...I have learned so much about trains, planes and construction equipment that I never would have with a girl! :) Boys are fun and you will absolutely love it - wait until he brings you a worm and want you to fetch more for him.

Hirally
ps- I do love our daughter too and enjoy all the girly things I get to buy for her!

Hannah said...

I love those poems :) I used to make up melodies to them when I was little. We have the two other books "When I was Very Young" and "Now I am Six" Both with even more amazing poems. My favorite is about the Sneezles :) I'm really enjoying being a parent to boys - and don't miss having a daughter, at all. It's a wonderful world to be a part of.

Anonymous said...

This post brought back a lot of memories for me. When I was pregnant with our first child, I desperately hoped for a boy. I thought a boy would be sooo much easier and I would have so much less to worry about. Well, we got a girl! As soon as I looked at her, it really didn't matter at all. I fell so in love.
Years go by and I became pregnant with our twins. I had spent 2 years raising a girl and couldn't imagine having a boy. All we had were girl toys and all I knew about mothering was with a girl. We were blessed with boy/girl twins. Mothers instinct kicks right in and you will be wonderful. Boys and girls are both blessings!