Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The deep breath before the parenthood plunge

I hope I'm not being too dramatic with the title for this entry, but I'm feeling oddly calm, considering what Robin and I are about to do. We're going on a wonderful adventure, but I'm thinking it will take the sight, smells, and heat of Bangkok for it to hit me.

In the meantime, here's what we've been up to. Robin's been the master preparer...this is mostly because she's awesome at it, but it's partly because I've been sick the last two days. I was completely useless yesterday. Thankfully, the illness subsided just in time for me to take care of the last minute home maintenance (lawn mowing, etc.)

Robin's done an expert job packing. She took me on a tour of some of the carry-ons tonight...all very well thought out. (Don't worry, I managed to pack my own luggage...I didn't leave ALL the work to her).

Robin also managed to book us some awesome activities for our time in Chiang Mai. We will be taking a cooking course one day...and on another, taking a tour of Doi Inthanon National Park. The tour setup is great...Robin e-mailed the tour group to book it, and they e-mailed back saying they couldn't pick us up from where we're staying, but for a couple extra hundred baht, they would just send a driver to us with a personal tour guide for a day (a fraction of the cost of actually booking a personal tour, mind you). SCORE! So, we're already feeling very good about the time we'll be spending in Chiang Mai.

So, now we're down to choosing the books we'll read on the plane and setting up the house so Robin's sister can hang out here (and graciously stock our shelves with fresh food right before we get home...thanks Mer!)

Our last evening at home, just us. I'd better take it in.

-Kyle

8 comments:

Farrah and Jed said...

WOW, Good luck guys. And yes as a mom to a 2 year old I say enjoy your last night at home by yourself!!!!

But it's nothing like being parents...Your days are never dull....

Chris, Terri, Matt and Mark said...

Click Click click click click WEEEEEEEE - I love the art in your posts! You've already been on a rollar coaster so this is one that just keeps going.

I don't give parental advice. But I do tell people one thing I wish I had done from the beginning and have started doing is writing one thought down each day in a journal. In mi vida loca, it's a best seller.

WOW - I can't believe you are heading to Thailand! His face just makes me smile like he's looking right at you guys saying I'm ready!

Terri

Hannah said...

Travel safe and try to enjoy every moment - it will go so fast :)
Can't wait to read all about it and see the pictures.
Have Fun!!!!!!!

Hanna & said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John and Nancy said...

Congratulations! I have chills just thinking about your travels and bringing your little one home! Have a safe trip and good luck with everything!!
Nancy-

Melissa May said...

Have a fabulous time in Chiang Mai! I'll be waiting for every post... but don't worry about all of us. Just enjoy your last days of anticipation and the last kid-free plane ride you'll have for a while!

Hoping we're right behind you...
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Have a great time and enjoy this last night home and the long plane ride - since it will be a very different experience on the way back...we loved Chiang Mai and I am sure you will also love it...Check out Udommit Restaurant in the strip mall across from the Airport Central Plaza - it was delicious and cheap even though it looked expensive! Enjoy your last week as a family of two!!!

Hirally

I won't tell you not to blog because you will - you will be just like me wanting to record and share every breath of the experience!!!

TracyMcGal said...

I am on the edge of my seat! I can't wait to follow your story to sweet T. It is like waiting for Christmas!!!