Thursday, November 1, 2007

Current Thailand Adoption News

I don't know how common adoption is within Thailand, but an article in yesterday's "The Nation National" included the following sentence:

"The Cabinet also approved draft child-adoption legislation in line with the ministry's aim to encourage more Thai people, instead of foreigners, to adopt orphans and protect children's rights."

I agree that kids are better off being adopted within their own country and culture. I also selfishly hope there's one kiddo left for me. I'm not proud of feeling that way, but it's true. It's hard to hope for a referral while at the same time realizing that a referral means that a child is not being welcomed into a family in his/her home country. Adoption is so bittersweet. I think Kyle and I are a great team of 2...I can't wait for the adventure of a family of 3. I'm excited and sad at the same time. It's an odd feeling.

2 comments:

Hirally said...

DIDO!!!!!!!

Hirally said...

Decide to expand...I feel the same in regards to the bittersweetness of the thoughts that go through our mind while in this process. I am really glad to hear they are in fact acknowledging in a very open and pubilc way that the need for their children to be adopted and that is even better if is nationally. My friend just traveled to K recently to meet her 2nd child from this country and she did mention that after 50 years of Holt being there the gov has plans to stop international adoption in the next 5 years where all their children will be adopted domestically instead...she also mentioned they had very cool/sexy billboards promoting adoption (I guess AJ and BP have help with that sexy image) I must say it made me happy to think about that goal and that progress has been made...I hope it goes the same for Thailand! But not before I get my girl!!! :) Wow this is a lot for a simple reply!!!