Monday, October 8, 2007

Seven Spiritual Gifts of Waiting

Holly Whitcomb is a family friend, and is also a United Church of Christ minister and author of several great books. Her Seven Spiritual Gifts of Waiting has been a wonderful companion to the waiting that Kyle and I have been getting pretty good at lately. It's a quick read, and had a great calming effect on me the first time I read it. When I start to feel frustrated and low on patience, I can pick it up again and read a chapter that helps me feel more at peace. The "Seven Spiritual Gifts" examined in the book are:
  • Patience
  • Loss of Control
  • Living in the Present
  • Compassion
  • Gratitude
  • Humility
  • Trust in God
Perhaps partly because our culture focuses on the "I can do anything I set my mind to" sort of philosophy, when I'm presented with situations out of my control that require me to wait, it can be difficult to accept. I have a feeling that once we get matched to our Critter, Kyle's going to have to remind me to read this book weekly. Thank goodness it's short! =)

No comments: