Wednesday, October 31, 2007

National Adoption Month


I don't pay attention to most "official" months or days to recognize this or that.

But today I had a co-worker tell me November is National Adoption Month. I didn't know there was such a thing, but I wasn't surprised, and was rather pleased. A lot of causes deserve attention, and despite my apparent bias, I'm not afraid to tell you adoption is one of them.

I am, however, a little torn about National Adoption Month. While the mission to raise awareness of the issue has plenty of value, bringing this kind of attention to adoption also seems to contradict the idea that adoption is just another way to form a family, and should not be considered abnormal.

I don't pretend to have a solution to this apparent contradiction, but I just thought it was worth noting. I suppose we can stop having National Adoption Month when all the stereotypes about adoption are done away with.

On another note, when National Adoption Month was brought to my attention, it prompted me to look back on the past year to see how far in the adoption process we've come. A lot has happened in the last year.

With life-changing things like this, time can move slow, and fast at the same time. I know that doesn't make sense reading it, but I think it will make sense for a lot of people.

-Kyle

No comments: