Sunday, April 22, 2007

Reaction

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was planning to tell my co-workers about our adoption this week. I did, and it went well (maybe the cookies helped).

I was prepared for a lot of questions, and I got quite a few. From what I've read, some adoptive parents hold off on telling people about their plans because of the incessant question-asking that can span for years. Personally, I relish the chance to field questions. I like to fancy myself as an ambassador for adoption, and the more questions I can answer, the more people will be aware of adoption. Some people apologized for asking a lot of questions, but I assured them that I love to answer them and I want them to feel free to ask more questions in the future.

Something I have noticed since starting this process is that there are more adoptive families out there than you think. When my co-workers heard I was adopting, I instantly got a list of people they knew who adopted. Some of them were people I already know, but not very many. Adoption is really not as rare as you might think given how little it's talked about in everyday conversation.

I have heard stories about, and experienced myself, some of the insensitive things people can ask or say when you say you're adopting. I was grateful to get none of this at work. What I'm used to hearing when I mention that we're adopting is someone retelling an adoption horror story that they once heard. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think most people respond to the news of a pregnancy with a horror story about a delivery gone wrong. It's just weird how people respond to adoption sometimes. I'm happy to say that negative responses like these have been few and far between for me, but it still shocks me when it happens.

A few of my co-workers asked me if I would be writing a first-person story for the newspaper. I work for a newspaper, but I've never written for a newspaper. Of course I would welcome the opportunity, but I'm not going to lobby for it. If they ask me to do it, I'd gladly jump right in. I like sharing!

The home study is nearly complete, so we're going to spend some time today wrapping up some of the other dossier work so that when we get the study in hand, we can turn it around quickly. If all goes well, perhaps I'll be driving to Madison in the coming weeks to get the certification process started.

-Kyle

3 comments:

Carol said...

Congratulations!!! It's so exciting. When do you get to go to Thailand? Or is that still up in the air?

Robin and Kyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin and Kyle said...

We have a lot of waiting ahead of us before a travel date is even set. If we're lucky, sometime in the course of the next 2 years. We're confident the time will go fast.

Thanks for the congrats!

-Kyle