Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bangkok radio

Robin and I each have our own ways of connecting ourselves with Thailand. We have both been looking at books, Robin more than me. I like to skim, she likes to actually read (I'm still a recovering readaholic because of grad school).

My interests have led me to learn more about Thailand through news and radio. I read the Bangkok Post every day. It's not only a great way to find out what's happening in Thailand, it's also a good window into how Thailand views major world events. It says a lot about a country.

More recently, I started tracking down Thai radio stations that stream on the Internet. It's interesting for me to see their programming styles, production standards, and listen to the language. Of course I can't understand what they're saying, but you don't need to speak the language to understand how the programming elements are structured.

Is it too obvious that I work for the media?

-Kyle

2 comments:

Gem and James said...

Hi Kyle you might find this site interesting if you have not seen it already, http://www.thailandlife.com/ a bit of a crazy background to it all, the guy is in prison now, but either way some interesting stuff to read. Gem x ps my otherhalf is deployed with a thai guy to afghanistan so he has been given strict instructions to learn some thai language and a bit more of the culture, will update our blog with that kind of stuff when he gets back

Robin and Kyle said...

I just looked up thailandlife.com. Looks like fun! Thanks!